Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Own Personal Hell

When the concept of hell comes about, Dante's Inferno is one of the first images that bumps into someone's head. Flames engulfing lost souls, and torture chambers specifically designed for everlasting turmoil. Although this image has been accepted by many religious groups, I come to wonder what my personal hell would consist of. Is it filled with images I don't want to see, or is it physical torture with wounds that never heal? Taking a little more time to think about it, I would think my hell would have an underwater theme. Water would fill the chamber up until the last bubble of air bursts due to the lack of space for anything but water. This water would be ice-cold, which is ironic in that most think of Hell as a fire pit, but the lack of heat can burn just as much as fire. 

Rare creatures would live in these waters, behind the large boulders that are scattered throughout the sea floor. Plants would fill the spaces in between as to make it hard to move around, or even see for that matter. 
When someone dies, and enters my chamber of Hell, they do not grow gills, and still need air to breathe, but with no room for anything but water, their lungs will eternally burn and fill with water as to suffocate the body. The creatures mentioned above would have large eyes and small sharp teeth. Their appearances are only part of the scare, they also let out a high pitch screech that bursts eardrums to flimsy tissue. These demons lurking the waters would never eat a lost soul, but will constantly attack, only to be attracted again by the fear that soul has exerted into the waters, this fear being practically tangible and most definitely edible by the demons. 



My reasoning for choosing such a gloomy pit of eternal torture is because I have a fear of drowning and being dragged to the bottom of the ocean by some unknown creature, only to be devoured. Sharks terrify me, as well as the mysterious dark unknown that the ocean is. Not being able to breathe, is torture within itself, but adding heart-pounding sights and creatures that not even nightmares can create, this is my own personal hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment